Monday, November 16, 2009

From 9/22/09

Hey everyone!!! I hope everyone is doing well! Things have been pretty crazy here. I'll start with telling you what happened with Militza Paulin. Well we set her date to be baptized on Sun. Sep. 13, 2009. She didn't feel she was ready to be baptized but when we secretly asked her the baptismal questions and told her that she answered all of them perfectly and that those were the baptismal questions she was shocked and after that was excited to be baptized. On Saturday Sep. 12th we brought her to the Oakland Temple. She was soooo excited to go. We went inside the visitors center where we first sat in front of teh Christus and listened the presentation. She cried and the spirit was strong. We then took her through a show/exhibit about Eternal families. She loved that also. We then went to look at all the Book of Mormons in different languages and listened to President's testimony on a little TV. She thought it was so amazing to see our living Prophet who guides and directs Christ's church today. After that we were going to go watch the Joseph Smith movie which was what we were most excited for. She told us that she first need to go to the restroom, so we planned to help her and then go watch the movie after. Because Militza has muscular dystrophy, someone has to help her go to the restroom which we were more than happy to do. She was soooo embarrassed so we sat in the bathroom for a while. I asked her if she would like just one of us to help her so it wouldn't be as embarrassing. She said yes and so Hermana Lowry stayed to help her. I could hear Militza saying thank you over and over and she was still so embarrassed. She started crying some and kept appoligizing. Hermana Lowry said it was fine and asked what she needed to do in order to help her. I couldn't really hear anything more but then Hermana Lowry started saying "Militza! Militza!" over and over and then said, "Girls you need to come here, Militza isn't responding." My heart skipped a beat and we quickly said "What?!" Hermana Lowry couldn't unlock the door because she was holding unconscience Militza up. Hermana Kelson crawled under the door to get inside the stall and unlocked the door. I came in and Hermana Lowry and I were trying to wake her up. Her whole body was limp and she was not responding but she was still breathing. Hermana Kelson ran to get help while I got wet paper towels to put on her to cool her down. I started blowing on her face and finally she started waking up. By this time she had been out for a few minutes and there was several people in the bathroom trying to help. The paramedics came pretty fast and checked to see if she was ok. By this time she was responding and they said she checked to be fine but they still wanted to take her to the hospital to make sure she was ok. She didn't want to go because she doesn't have medical inssurance but after talking with her for about 10 minutes they convinced her to go. We had no way to go with her because we went in a car with some of the members of our ward who were inside the temple doing baptisms for the dead. We went inside the temple and found them and told them what had happened with Militza. After they were done they drove us over to the hospital to see her. They gave her a blessing and we got to see her for a little while. She was perfectly fine and they said she could go home. We had to leave because it was already 8:00 at night but Hermano and Hermana Galvez, 2 amazing members of our ward, stayed there until her husband arrived to pick her up. I prayed sooooo much that night because I was so scared that her husband would not like us even more and I was just so nervous. On Sunday Militza still wanted to be baptized but because of everything that happened and because it just didn't feel right we postponed her baptism. On Monday we talked to her and to my surprise her husband wasn't mad and everything was ok. I was so greatful for that. She also ended up telling her husband that she was planning on being baptized which I was so happy about because I had the worst feeling about her being baptized and her husband not knowing. So we planned on her being baptized that coming Sunday (or this last Sunday). She was soo excited but very nervous. Although her husband supported her decision he said he would not go because he wants nothing to do with the church. Although he still won't talk to us and wants nothing to do with the gospel, it's a miracle how much he has softened his heart. We've seen so many miracles and I know it's because the Lord is blessing Militza for her decision to join His church. Her husband, Alex, has been so much nicer to her, their conversations have been a lot more open, he doesn't hang out with his friends near as much but is spending more time with his family, and instead of doing the laundry on Sunday as he usually does he told Militza that he would do all those things on Saturday so he didn't have to do it on the Sabbath. We were so shocked. He coming around very slowly but surely and I'm so grateful for the tender mercies of Heavenly Father. We have had the opportunity to see this family become more unified and strengthened. I just pray that it continues =) So anyway, guess what!? Militza Paulin and Maria Concepcion Molina were both baptized on Sunday September 20, 2009!!! I don't have anymore time to write so I'll write all about it next week. It was a miracle that Maria was also baptized because she was so far from being baptized but let me tell you Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers and I am so fortunate to be here and witness some of His children come unto Him and our Savior Jesus Christ. Things aren't going so well with Karina. She has been ignoring our calls and we're not sure what's happened with her. Please pray for her! I have to go but I want you to know that Heavenly Father is so aware of each and everyone of us. I know that this is Christ's church and it is through following His gospel that we will feel the most joy although at times it is not the easiest it is worth it. I cannot express to you how grateful I am for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is the only true church and through is we can return to live with our Father in Heaven for eternity and receive all that He has. I love you all so much! I love this work and am so grateful for the opportunity to be here! Until next week, chao!
Love,
Hermana Alvey
p.s. to all those that I haven't written back yet, sorry! I'm trying =-)

No comments: