Monday, November 16, 2009

11/2/2009

Ok so I didn't write much last time so I'll catch you up. First off, I hope that everyone had an fun Halloween! I had a lot of fun. We tracted and taught lessons until 5 pm and then all of us missionaries in this area met up at the church office building, ate, and watched movies. We weren't aloud to be outside during Halloween night so President Jackson gave us permission to watch movies. The Senior Missionaries prepared food and goodies for us which was soo sweet and then we watched "Meet the Johnsons" which was actually really funny and cute and we watched "Monsters Inc." which I love. So that was way fun. As of everything else. Well we're really not reaching la familia Alvarez anymore... yeah we're pretty sad about the whole situation. So last week we gave la palabra de sabaduria and we thought it went ok but we'd come to find out that it didn't... We called Consalo y Maria para remind them about the appointment and Consalo nos digo que that would be the last time we would teach them. Hermana Lowry was the one on the phone. She asked why and he just said because he doesn't want to change religions and stuff like that. She told him we'd talk about it at the lesson. Oh my goodness, we were absolutely dreading that lesson. After she hung up the phone we just sat there in awe, not knowing what to do and what just had happened. I wanted to cry. We absolutely love this family and that just felt horrible hearing that. Hermana Lowry described it as being broken up and just sitting there helpness not knowing what to do or say. It really did feel like my heart was broken. So we went to the lesson and it was so awkward and just uncomfortable. Finally Hermana Lowry said ok lets talk about that call. What's wrong. So we started talking. He said he didn't want to change from being catholic because it'd be like betraying but that wasn't really the problem. So we kept talking and finally it came down to everything we were asking Consalo to do was just too hard. He can't pray and we always ask if he's prayed and then we want him to stop smoking and drinking and it all just scared and overwhelmed him I think. So now he's almost totally shut off from us. He said that he liked us coming over and he liked learning from us but that he didn't want to be baptized and that he would never be baptized. We all didn't know exactly what to say. We asked Maria if she still wanted to be baptized. She said she still wanted to but that she wouldn't get baptized if he didn't because she didn't want a division or any conflict in their relationship. So we asked if we could still come back and teach Maria and the kids who want to be baptized and we figured Consalo could just listen. Maria said yes we could and Consalo looked down and wouldn't say anything. Maria told him to say something and he kind of reluctantly said it was fine. So we made an appointment to come back which was supposed to be today but when we called to remind them of it this morning Consalo said he had a problem and that his papa, who is in Mexico, is very sick and that it'd be best for us to come back later. We asked if there was another day and he told us that he'd call us when things were going better with that situation. That, obviously, was an excuse for us to not come back. Man it's so sad. We want to continue teaching them, I think just hoping that we can do something to change their minds and help them but it might just be best to stop teaching them, especially since Consalo has pretty much dropped us and Maria isn't doing anything to stop it. So that's the situation and it's just all very sad. It's so frustrating because I keep thinking, what should we have done differently? Maybe we were too pushy... things like that but we have done the best we can and we can't force people to accept it. It's hard because you know with all your heart that it's true and you want other people to know it too so they can be just as blessed and happy as you are because of the church but they reject it and there's not much you can do. It's especially hard when you're so attached to them and yeah... but all we can do is move on and try to find others who are ready. I really do think though that they will be baptized and accept the gospel it just may be later. So we're still teaching the Lugo family which I've talked about. She still hasn't gone to church though. We told her that she can't be baptized unless she attends church and she asked if she could learn from us and follow these things but attend her church because it's at a time that she can go. We told her no and she still doesn't quite understand why. There's a baptism for a little girl in our ward coming up and we invited her to come and she's really excited. I really hope this will motivate her more. So the last time we taught her she told us about this dream that she had. (You have no idea how many dreams we've heard. I'm not sure what it is but it seems like the latin people dream soo much. And sometimes I really think it is how they receive answers to their prayers and what not but a lot of the time, in my oppinion, they're just dreams that they take too serious. I forgot to even say anything but the first few weeks I was here one of the members in our ward came up to me and said how he was trying to figure out why I looked so familiar and finally it clicked to him that I was in a dream that he had had. He said that there was a lot of people in a big room which was really pretty and everyone was wearing white. He said I was in it and had 2 ninos (kids). That's all I got out of it because I could barely understand him at all, but he was describing it to me and was like yeah I had it 6 months ago. Yeah, crazy huh? So he now goes to another ward but told me that he won't ever forget my face. I want to ask him now to tell me more about the dream because I understand more spanish ha. So yeah we hear about a lot of dreams)So back to Eva's dream, she dreamed that she was in this beautiful garden and there was a castle looking thing and stairs that went up to it. She was wearing all white and so as she was going up the stairs she stopped and didn't want to go any further because she was wearing black boots. She had this dream years ago but we thought it was interesting. I don't know if it means anything but I thinking that'd be so crazy if that was the temple and something was keeping her from going to it. So in 2 weeks there's going to be a temple trip and I can't remember if we invited her to go and then she told the dream or if we invited her after because it just sounded like she was describing a temple but either way we invited her and she's soo excited to go. It should be good, I'm way excited too. We have a lot of investigators and members that we teach that we want to go so we're really really hoping a lot of them go. So yeah that is what's going on, well most of it. I'll keep you posted with the situation with Consalo y Maria. continue to pray for them please! Oh yeah last bit of news, Karina Galvan who we thought we were going to have to drop, randomly showed up to church and she said she is trying to get Sundays off!! That made us sooo happy! Ok well untill next week, I love you all and hope you all are doing awesome!!!!!!!

Love,
Hermana Alvey (Alven y las Sardias) That's what everyone calls me or how they remember my name ha

No comments: